List of useful travel links – DRAFT VERSION
- Price comparison engines — I tend to find that from the UK perspective, the best prices are available either on car hire search for car rentals.co.uk. These engines will also conduct searches and take bookings in other currencies.
- Car hire agencies — the following agencies are often amongst the best value for car hire book from the UK — Auto Europe, Ebookers, Expedia and holiday autos.
- Major car hire companies — the major global car hire companies are Alamo/National, Avis, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. If you are looking for car hire in major resort locations, especially in Spain, you’ll also find a number of more local agencies at the airport. Other more niche destinations, particularly on smaller holiday islands, are also more likely to have local car rental companies.
- Lift sharing is particularly popular in Germany.
- Zip Car.
Driving and road safety
- FCO advice
Hotel and Accommodation Booking
- Hostelbookers — I find this is often the easiest to use hostel booking website, and it can sometimes be better value than hostel world.
- Hostelworld — generally the most comprehensive hostel booking website.
- International Youth Hostel Association — search and book in hostels which are members of the International youth hostel Association, some of which do not appear on the hostel booking websites.
- Laterooms — this site is absolutely excellent for last-minute hotel booking in the UK, and to a lesser extent in other countries. They often have availability in bed and breakfast and independent hotels that you won’t find on other search engines.
- Major hotel and general travel search engines — Expedia, Ebookers, Lastminute, Opodo.
- National Express — for the most comprehensive network of long-distance coach travel within the UK.
- Stagecoach Scottish Citylink — coach travel within Scotland.
Public transport Journey planners
- Journey Scotland?
- Transport direct — in terms of functionality, I absolutely hate using this website, and it is even more useless when you’re actually on the move and tried to access it from a mobile device, but it offers an incredibly comprehensive planning service for getting between any two points anywhere within Great Britain.
- UK train travel — book the best value advance UK train tickets with the Trainline.com.
- Amtrak — for long-distance rail travel in the USA, including high-frequency services in the Northeast corridor and Amtrak passes for unlimited travel within a certain time period or geographical region.
- Regional and suburban rail in the USA — the following areas have more local train services which are completely independent from those operated by Amtrak — Boston and Massachusetts (MBTA), California (Caltrains), Chicago (MetraRail), New Jersey (NJ transit) New York (Long Island Railroad, mta north), Philadelphia/Pennsylvania — SEPTA, Miami/Southern Florida — Trirail?, Maryland — Baltimore & Washington DC (MARC), Virginia – VRE.
- Also — Seattle, Dallas, Orlando? Atlanta?
- Rail travel in Canada — VIA rail.
- European rail travel — for rail travel in most European countries, you can check prices and book single tickets or passes with Rail Europe.
- European rail timetables — I always use the Deutsche Bahn (German railways) website whenever I want to check train times within Europe, as it covers virtually all services, including local connections, which rail Europe don’t always have.
- flightmapping.com — our sister site provides flight routes information showing which airlines fly where from all airports in the UK and Ireland.
- P&O ferries — for ferry travel between the UK and Ireland, as well as cross-channel ferries and ferries from Hull to Rotterdam.
- Stena line.
- Direct ferries — search and book European ferry travel.
Cycling holidays and planning
- Amsterdamized — everything you need to know about cycling from the Dutch perspective.
- Dutch cycle route planner and mapping?
- cycle streets — an excellent planner for planning cycling trips around the UK, including detailed commentary on the gradient, the amount of traffic and the surface quality of each road.
- Google maps — now has cycle route planning for a number of European countries, although for the UK, it is nothing like as comprehensive as cycle streets.
- Transport for London cycle hire. Other cities.
- lonely planet
- wiki travel
- insure and go
- special needs travel insurance